Re: Ford C-4 Tranny Gear Deliberations

To: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>,
Subject: Re: Ford C-4 Tranny Gear Deliberations
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 07:46:23 -0700 (PDT)
If I'm not wrong though, the HP lost through the
torque converter is greatest at the speeds where
the variable between the input and output side is
the greatest, and the loss decreases as the two
sides approach the same speed (direct drive, in
high gear).  That means you might be losing 12 -
15% at standing start, but the faster the car
goes, the less you lose. By the time you approach
your top speed, there is virtually no difference
in the transmissions, as they have done their
work and it is now a direct drive (or OD)
function.

Dick J