Linville's Epping Report : old time digs last weekend

To: jgfiitzhu@providentbankmd.com, hastingsv@aol.com, jungbec@aol.com,
Subject: Linville's Epping Report : old time digs last weekend
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:26:59 GMT
WOW!   HERES AN "EYEWITNESS REPORT"!    " VERRRY INTERESTING "

          JUS' THOUGHT YOU ALL MIGHT LIKE TO READ IT.....-DOUG ANDERSON

Hi guys, huge turnout for nostalgia drags yesterday.

(that's at New England Dragway in Epping N.H. for those of you who are not
familiar with the area....)

Weather was super and the track  (finally!)  did some saturation radio
advertising for the event.

The N.E.T.O. guys were there and they put on quite a show.  Lots of strong 7
and 8 second cars.  For example a AA/FA Fiat with a blown 426 hemi, a AA/GS
'55Chev, several injected altereds, etc.  The one eye catcher was an inline
twin engine car with 2 409s!  One injected and the other blown and injected.
?????   It was a new car but had really scary engineering.  If I had been
the track I would not have teched the car.  Front axle was small diameter,
about 1 1/2", solid bolted to the frame rails, 1/2" diameter tierod and 2"
wide magnesium twelve spokes.  Given there was almost a ton of engine
weight, the car flexing going down the track kept changing wheel geometry
(moving camber adjustment) causing front wheel shake/shimmy like you read
about.  Clearly visible from the stands!  And he had the front engine
disconnected with a sliding coupler to sort out the car.  Only three
flathead cars, John from the cape (thunder road), Dennis (still running in
the 17 secs) and the ill fated Spur Bros orange fuel flathead (succumed to
fluid leakage on the starting line).  The Spur brothers are from the
Orientals Car Club that puts on the June nostalgia meet.  This flathead rail
has a ton of money in it but doesn't run consistently at all.  They tell me
they have gone 11.0 with it but everytime I see it either it won't run or it
breaks.  They are the guys who paid Motor City Flatheads almost $500 for a
Potvin Eliminator (we paid $85 for one from Chris Nielsen) and wiped a lobe
of it trying to start the motor the first meet they brought it to.
We had the Anglia (IT'S A FLATHEAD POWERED '48 & UNDER CONSTRUCTION....)
there on the trailer.  Got a lot of positive comments on it.

Lots of Willys coupes, a chopped Karmen Ghia (looked like a 2/3 scale '53
Studebaker),  lots of front engine cars with smallblock chevys, and a host
of doorslammers.    Car show area was truly filled up over there on the
grass.    Got to see Reg Bernier's brother Eddie's roadster, a copper
colored '32 hiboy with a 6:71 blown 392 hemi.  Beautiful car.

That great light blue '32 Ford tudor with the 6:71 blown flathead I saw at
Ron's show in CONECTICUT earlier this year was there.

Anyway, wish you guys could have made it.  I think the track was blown away
by the turnout.  Maybe they will run three next year???

regards, John Linville  -inna northwoods of beautiful New Hamp'sha

http://profiles.msn.com.