Re: Bonneville Transmissions

To: "dahlgren" <dahlgren@uconect.net>, "The Butters Family" <bbutters@dmi.net>
Subject: Re: Bonneville Transmissions
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:18:06 -0400
Don't know if this proves Dave's point or not. Based on the data I have
collected over the years I did some math, well a lot of math and this is
what I come up with:

Trying to keep everything constant: Drag, HP, Rear Gear, Tire size, Optimum
Gear Ratios, No Overdrives, Shift Points, Polar Moments of Inertia, etc.,
this is what I found.

6-speed transmission gave me the fastest speed at the end of 5 Miles.
5-speed was .1 MPH slower.
4-speed was .2 MPH slower.
3-speed was .7 MPH slower - try getting optimum ratios for a 3-speed.
2-speed was 1.2 MPH slower.
Powerglide w/ no torque converter was 2.4 MPH slower.
T-400 w/ no torque converter was 4.7 MPH slower.
T-400 with torque converter was 11.7 MPH slower.
Don't have any info on a Lenco, but suspect it's similar to the T-400.

Probably not the big numbers some were looking for but given different
vehicles, HP, Traction, the fact that I was keeping many things constant,
and this is math only, I think the results may actually be greater. Also the
difference in MPH between the 6-speed and the 4-speed may not have you
rushing out to plop down the extra three, four or five grand for one either.
But if you want the ultimate!

John Beckett, LSR #79, E/FCC