Re: Tires

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tires
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 01:55:06 EDT
In a message dated 08/31/2000 9:52:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
popms@thegrid.net writes:

<< List; All the talk about Firestone tires losing their tread on some
 Fords got a BS session going in the shop today. We all talked about the
 tires we had the most trouble with. I have never had good luck with
 Michelin tires on my trucks. They seem to come apart after about 4 years
 no matter how many miles on them. I did have a Cooper SRM come apart big
 time this year going to Muroc. Tore half the fender off the truck before
 I got stopped. Never had a problem with Firestones. Anybody
 else?                Doug Odom in big ditch

Doug,
    Just before the June El Mirage meet I started thinking about the capacity
of the tires on my single-axle open trailer that I use for close-by meets. It
turned out that the tires on the trailer were rated at a little less than the
weight I was expecting them to carry.
    Due to the tire clearances and some other factors I couldn't find a
bigger or heavier duty tire that would work. I gave my tire-stack behind the
shop a cursory look and found some Michelin VR tires that came with the Dave
Watson Cosworth Vega powered G/STR that I bought a year ago. Closer
inspection revealed that they were the same size as the existing trailer
tires and were rated at about 10% more.
    I put them on the trailer and towed to El Mirage in June with no
problems. Hope they continue to hold up............Ardun Doug King