Speed Week

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Speed Week
From: "cole coonce" <colecoonce@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 05:41:14 GMT
Greetings everybody.

My name is Cole Coonce and I experienced Speed Week for the first time this
year (I know, I know...)

Anyway: I do hot rod journalism, believe it or not. However, when I went to
Bonneville I wasn't on assignment, just chilling and soaking it all in
...(although I did put up some pics on my website, www.nitronic.com )

Upon my return, however, Popular Hot Rodding approached me to fill up  a
three page spread on Speed Week 2000.

So: while I took a few notes while I was out there (force of habit), there
are some holes in my coverage...

I need help with some fact-checking and some filling in of details. Here
goes:

1) Carl Heap and The Phoenix setting the unlimited diesel record at 245 mph
(?), an unofficial back door speed of 252 mph...I understand the thing
weighs 19,000 lbs. What make of truck is this, exactly?

2) Nebulous Theorem II and III. They are powered by what?

3) Nick Arias III said to me, ""Have you ever seen a blown fuel Yamaha (?)
with a Whipple?" Which 'liner was he referring to?

4) Al Teague's streamliner, which was running as B/Fuel when I was there
(432 c.i. KB, 12-71 Mooneyham), posted a 2-way average of 372.281
mph...didn't he go even faster with the B motor by the time the meet was
over?

5) Who drives the Tom Thumb Specials II and III...didn't they also set some
records?

6) How many motor-sickles were there?

7) How did Mike Cook's Firebird run?

8) Is it accurate to say the salt was in superb condition? Did the quality
of the surface confound some of the racers?     I didn't get there until
Tuesday...I understand a lot of teams hurt it in the opening days...yes?

9) Who drove the Infiniti Q45? How fast did it go? Did Ed Pink build that
engine?

10) How long was the wait in the staging lanes during the first few days?

11) Anything else I missed?

Thanks in advance for any and all help...

I did call the SCTA today, but got a phone machine...my deadline is tomorrow
(Friday)...sorry for the 11th hour nature of this message, but this was
sprung on me rather suddenly as well...

Cheers,

--
Cole Coonce