Re: exhaust

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: exhaust
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 21:11:47 -0400
Man did you ask a tough one.. to begin with EGT has little to do with
air fuel ratio if the timing is not known..the easy one is the probe
ought to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the port in an area that will
measure the average temp.. avoid the middle of bends especially.. Octane
is compression ratio related so if low compression low octane and if
picked right then the burn speed works out ok. A quick way to see if the
octane is too high is if you have an engine that wants a lot of timing
and the chamber and spark plug is not all that shrouded.. Then you can
run a timing value that is typical for the chamber design. If the timing
is correct a good number to shoot for is 1325 or so and under 1400 for a
NA engine on gas...turbos can go to 1600 or more and nitrous if done
right ought to be 1225 to 1300 but less than the temp without it..the
short version anyway in my mind.
Dahlgren