Re: New Category

To: "Parks, David" <David.Parks@lfr.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Category
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:35:02 -0400
    David

    You've obviously put a lot of thought into you response. However, from
my personal experience, I don't see how any of this is going to be cheep.
Speed costs money, regardless of category, so how fast do you want to go?

    My question, is this a class for aerodynamically deficient vehicles
(which was my take on this category in the beginning) or one for cost
conscious racers? I personally believe that if it's for cost reasons then we
need a whole bunch of new restrictions to make that aspect viable. It's
possible for any racer right now...regardless of category...to go to the
swap meets and buy used parts. Heck, I have a bunch of used parts in my
current ride and still go fast.

    Since used parts prices may vary greatly a comparison of new parts might
be a little more appropriate. Point being that I honestly believe I can
build a new EFI system for little more than the cost of a new Hilborn
mechanical injection unit. And while comparing complete systems a new
carburetor combination, properly set up, isn't that much cheaper either.
I've been using a single 4-bbl to set records at Bonneville for the past
three years.

    Now when it comes to competitive HP in this new class, a double throw
down twin turbo, EFI, intercooled, 1,800. HP engine won't be
allowed...OK...but I bet I can do the same thing with a Hilborn and still
blow an 8-71 out of the water. Now I better pick a slick car to run on
Kugel's C/BGALT record...300.787 MPH is out of sight...but there are other
engine class to run with.

    As for late 70's vehicles being cheaper than a '53 Studebaker, that's
undoubtedly true. But then again I know of a prospective racer who bought an
'86 Firebird for $200. I guess what I'm saying is that I believe I could
build a competitive C/GALT for the same amount of money as a C/NGALT. It's a
wash.

    The concept of this new category is fine with me. And the variety of
opinions in this discussion has been very interesting. I just feel that it
needs a cut off date ('69 to '74) that won't defeat the purpose of allowing
older iron to compete on a somewhat level playing field.

    John (older is better) Beckett, LSR #79, E/FCC