Re: New Category

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Category
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:26:08 EDT
In a message dated 09/11/2000 4:07:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dwarner@electrorent.com writes:

<< Doug,

 Thank you for your input. While your observation has valid points I see the
 opposite side. The current Modified Category has a year break of 51 years,
 this increases annually. While someone may have picked a '53 Stude to begin
 their LSR career in 1970 it is now obvious that the vehicle is at a
 disadvantage. Why not open an area for this person to run his car? He may
 have a couple of sons that want to join us. As their interests and 'need for
 speed' develop over a period of time they(the sons) will surely build a
 car/bike to meet the demands of increased speed and challenges. I believe
 that by adding under 50 classes we may be increasing the involvement in our
 beloved sport by younger generations which we all admit we need to attract.

 Dan Warner

Dan,
    I agree with regards the older "modern" cars as defined by the present
rules. A class change will make many "older" race cars competitive that are
at a disadvantage by todays rules, hopefully getting them back into
competition, possibly in the hands of the next generation of LSR competitors.
    Beyond those cars that could be "recycled" into competitive form by
additional classes I see little value in additional classes. If someone new
is getting into LSR today and didn't have access to an "older" race car they
would tend to start from scratch with one of the better aerodynamic designs.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but if you're starting from scratch, building a LSR car
based on a production body/chassis, isn't the initial "carcass" cost of
anything 1975 to the early 90's pretty constant? It seems that the
"carcass"cost of a 1949-75 production car to use in LSR would be high due to
the demand among restorers and street rodders for these cars.
    I haven't gone back and reviewed all of the previous postings on the
subject, so I may have my cutoff dates wrong. I do believe, however, that I
have a pretty good handle on what the rule change is trying to accomplish.
    Regards the electronics and equipment restrictions on the proposed
classes, that's all pretty much over my head. I just run a homemade set if IR
injectors, a 1950's Vertex mag, and no sensors or other data gathering
equipment. My concession to "high-tech" is my weather station and a hand-held
calculator to interpolate "pill" changes and density altitude.
    Please explain your thoughts regards the next generation of LSR
competitors being inhibited by the present rules and encouraged by more
classes. Other than recycling an LSR car handed down by their predecessors I
can't figure how the proposed rule change would encourage them. Maybe I'm
missing something.
    As you know, my son Brian is now taking an active part in my LSR program,
setting records in my XXF/MR at Muroc and Bonneville this year. Keeping him
motivated and involved is one of my goals............Ardun Doug King, #1313
XXF/MR