Fwd: New Category

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: New Category
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:18:09 EDT
--part1_4f.afa03f.26efb141_boundary

From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Full-name: ARDUN DOUG
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:16:02 EDT
Subject: Re: New Category
To: dwarner@electrorent.com

In a message dated 09/12/2000 5:26:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dwarner@electrorent.com writes:

<< Doug,

 I didn't mean to imply that some one new will immediately jump to this new
 opportunity. I am told that an early GM "carcass" may be purchased for
 $200 - 300 in some areas of the country. These cars were made in numbers
 that they will never be collectible and are throw aways as such. I would
 think that this would be a good starting point for a race car if you were
 inclined, I am not. While you have had tremendous success with what some
 would term "low tech" equipment, and be criticized for using same. What is
 the problem with restricting someone else from using the same type of
 mechanical? The "pill & pump" guys may not have interest at all in using
 EFI. Would you be of the same frame of mind if Ron Main was running Modified
 Roadster with his engines?

Dan,
    I really don't care one way or another if some new classes are opened. My
concern is that it will serve the fairly wide purpose of attracting new
"blood" into our hobby rather than making records possible for a handfull of
currently competing cars that are "aerodynamically(sp) challenged".
    I also realize that my own engine class was created because a very small
group (2) of competitors, who happened to compete in what is now my engine
class, and were also very high SCTA-BNI officials, were responsible for
creating that class in order to avoid competing against other XX vintage
engines that were (and still are) faster. To their credit, if the Ardun
hadn't been separated from the Jimmy's and Buick Straight Eights in the then
XX class I doubt that there would be any of them competing today. They were
potentially a wonder for their day, but that day came just before the
introduction of the SBC, the Chrysler Hemi, Cad & Olds OHV V-8's, and about
the same time as GM produced the 270 Jimmy, all of which eclipsed the Flatty
and it's OHV converted bastard son the Ardun. If splitting the class to
accomodate the Ardun meant that zealots such as Hayseed, Monte Osborn, Don
Ferguson Jr., The Red Coupe, and myself will continue to run these dinosaurs
and let the LSR spectators and participants hear them run (as opposed to
looking at one sitting in an engine stand display in some museum), then part
of the overall goal has been achieved. The other part of the goal is peer
recognition (aka records).
    I further realize that even though the fuel record I set last month is
slightly higher than the fastest GMC Vintage Engine, Vintage Car (excluding
Special Construction) record, were the XXF and XXO engine classes still
combined as XX I probably wouldn't have even qualified due to the fact that I
would have been qualifying in the afternoon heat. My morning record run was
the only one that put up numbers faster than the XXO engine in the same
chassis category.
    Further, the XXO/FMR records at Bonneville and El Mirage were set several
years ago with aerodynamics that are considered "traditional", not "pushing
the envelope" as mine is. So, all things being equal I still can't (and
probably never will) produce the performance that a well prepared XXO car
will. I only bring this up because I'm sure somebody else will if I don't.
    Regards competing against Ron Main, don't tell Jimmy Stevens to
"steer-clear" of Mains classes. As you know, Stevens has broken just about
all of the roadster records Main set during the past 10 years, using much
less technology and $$$$$$ than the Landy Project had invested. Besides, you
still have to make it at least twice to the three mile marker in order to set
the record.
    For my part, selecting a class was determined by my admiration of
modified roadsters and the fact that it was also a category in which I might
achieve another long-term goal of mine, the Two-Club. I started out in Street
Roadster and later moved to Lakester, parking that car when it was discovered
that building per NHRA specs does not automatically make the grade with SCTA
Tech.
    Don Ferguson ran against the XXF/FMR record several times over the past
15+ years. Ask him how "soft" he thought it was.
    BTW, do the guys who question the need for these classes get the same
rhetorical attention as I have?
    Your Friend and long-time admirer, Ardun Doug King

--part1_4f.afa03f.26efb141_boundary--