Re: New Category

To: Dan Warner <dwarner@electrorent.com>
Subject: Re: New Category
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:23:48 -0400
Has any thought been put into the handicap for rotary engines I have a
few guys i work with that run rotaries and were thinking about coming
out but did not want to bother for time only as there is little hope of
setting a record with one because of the handicap.. I understand this to
be currently displacement X 3..If I am wrong plaese correct me on this..
To point out the unfairness of it.. I have a customer with a 1300cc 13b
rotary.. It makes currently about 750 hp at 10000 rpm single turbo.. we
are going back to the dyno to see if we can find some more hopefully get
it to 850 hp.. If we use the handicap of X3 it is pointless as a turbo
piston engine that is 3.9 liters will make this power all day long even
at X2 it is almost not worth the effort. it seems like the piston engine
technology has progressed to the point that the handicap system
basically says don't bother with a rotary..  A naturally aspirated one
makes about 310 or so.. the same as Goodman's 1995cc Cosworth with
similar technology.. Would you think that X 1.3 or so to be a more
realistic handicap?? I thought that SCCA had this handicap factor but
will see if i pry this piece of info out of them.. I guess what i am
trying to say is they really make about as much power as a good 'G'
engine..but certainly not as much as a good 'E' of 'F' engine..
Dave Dahlgren