Gas up

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas up
From: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 16:06:34 -0700
Gas Up 2000 was another turnout of racers and manufactures being honored
for their achievements. With the likes of Andy Granatelli, Ak Miller,
Jack Lufkin, Paula Murphy, Marlo Treit, Fred Dannenfelzer, Ken Walkey,
Mary West,Don Montgomery, Eric Rickman, Ed Iskenderian, Tony Capana, Ted
Fry, Bob Higbee, Al Teague, Rick & Nolan White, the list goes on. Ed Van
Scoy, Doug Odem for a few. Those being honored that are no longer with
us but played a very large part in land speed racing are as follows.

Tom Beatty, Racer Brown, Clark Cagle, Bill Edwards, Clyde Sturdy, Bill
Temple. All of these people that we new in the past deserved this honor.
Many I new or met over the years, and when one looks back the list will
grow as the names are submitted to the Hall of Fame.

The bench racing and the cars and Bike on display always draw a crowd.
This year Sam Wheeler and his very fast and beautiful streamliner motor
cycle became the first to be honored in the two wheel catagory.

It becomes more difficult each year on who to honor as there are so many
current and people from the past that started on the lake beds and
continued on through the years.We are all proud to be members and to see
the new people inducted each year.

A special thanks to Jack Mendenhall and the Gold Coast Roadster and
Racing club for making this all possible.

Glen Barrett