Parachute release

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Parachute release
From: "Smith, Simon-Pierre" <Simon-Pierre.Smith@PSS.Boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:19:02 -0700
Here's a question...

How is the automatic parachute release for tipover of a streamline motorcycle
set up?

I can imagine a mercury switch with a solenoid, or a mercury switch to a
solenoid controlled air valve and a pneumatic piston to pull the cable.  I can
even imagine a mechanical setup.

Is there much incidence of these accidentally deploying?

Being a safety device I'd like it to be a simple system and so far none of the
soutions I've visualized were very simple.

Thanks,
Simon Smith