OLD DAWG DOES GUD

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, av8ford@volcano.net, salt@ivec.net,
Subject: OLD DAWG DOES GUD
From: "Doug Anderson" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 18:39:20 GMT
Hey folks,

Here's somthin' worthy of comment, and purty neat for ya'all to enjoy:  My
fren' (ya' I got a couple ) Dave Richards from Newark Valley N.Y. ( kind'a
near Watkins Glen….) is a consummate 1st degree black belt gearhead.   Among
his many interests are old airyplanes, modersickles, and Hawt Rods. You know
like us.  Noisy, smelly, wizzing parts an' stuff.
Anyway at 51 years of age he's STILL campaign'in a Speedway Bike and
winnin'(it's a 5oo Jawa) -I know 'cause I seen'em do it.
(for those not familiar with Speedway Bikes,basically, they're alky
fueled,500cc,185lb. machines with the power to weight ratio of a Sprint Car
-with NO brakes.)
He ran ALL the events at Champion Speedway in Owego,NY this summer.  The
night I was there was the first he'd ridden in competition in twenny years.
I saw'em go out in his 1st heat and get I believe a second ( memory is the
first to go boys…) and later on the same night, I saw "the impossible"  He
won THE MAIN.  Ya should'a seen the crowd when the announcer told'em Daves
age.
Ya, I'm proud to be his fren…

Annyway one of his other "toys" is an honest ta gawd NHRA record holder from
the good old daze that most of us remember and pine for:   Dave's the proud
owner of the old Pete Shadinger D/D that was the star of the Champion Spark
Plug Ads when I was still in High School. Hint: check your 1964-65 Hot Rod
Magazines.   See Ol' Pete (he's gone now…) had been THE competition
eliminator WORLD CHAMPION with this very car that Dave has and lovingly
cares for.
Well he so cares for it that I just got an e-mail the other day tell ing how
he'd done with the car last Sunday at ESTA Safety Park in Cicero, NY and
here's what he wrote:

" Hi Doug:
        Just got back from Cicero Dragstrip. They were running a "test and
tune" day and the air was REAL good.   Ran a 9.960 with the six banger rail.
  The car's best time since built in 1964.  Also had a .504 reaction time on
that run.   A good day.....
                                                       -Dave R. "

I think that is so cool….. Oh did I mention that the digger HAD a Buick
straight eight, and when Dave got the car it was GONE …and that Dave now
runs a 292 GMC 6 ?  Let's help him restore the car:  He wants to put it back
the way it was….   He needs a 320 c.i. Roadmaster engine from 1947-52 or
'53.  Any of you know where we can find such a beast for Dave ?  He's got
the headers and front cover from the original setup , but wants the rest so
he can build a new motor for thc car to "make it right"

Here's how you can contact him direct:

Phone # @ his shop Rt.38 Engine Machine in Newark Valley NY is:
607 642-3248 -and his home phone is: 607 642-8379 in the evening.
E-mail is:  drichard@stny.lrun.com

THANKS, HE DESERVES OUR HELP…..   -DIRTY DOUG in exile, in New Yawk

Say,....ennybody know how to reach Bob Opperman whut runs the Buick straight
8 lakester ?  Bet he might know where some parts are hiding....