Re: Winter Upgrades/oil

To: "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winter Upgrades/oil
From: "Tom Neimeyer" <3cbxs@ev1.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 21:56:14 -0700
Over the years I've read a lot about oils and I know, I am sure of nothing.
One thing I do believe is that a air cooled motorcycle, one which uses the
oil as a gear lubricant also, is a different animal from an automobile
engine.  I tend to agree that most any name brand oil is good enough for an
automobile engine, however an air cooled engine tends to break down the oil,
due to higher temperatures.  In petrolium based oils this acts like a
distillation process removing components from the oil.  In addition, the SJ
brands no longer contain ZDP to aide in handling sheer loads.  For these
reasons and others, I will run synthetic in my motorcycles.

Tom