Maxton October '00 Meet

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Maxton October '00 Meet
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 22:27:08 -0500
List,

   I think I had as much fun this weekend as the first time I drove the USS
Wankel to Maxton for its' first ECTA tech inspection several years ago.
That was after my first and last winter of land-speed car preparation in a
vacuum. (Pre-LSR list)  I spent many cold nights in the garage agonizing
over the rule book and disturbing John Beckett's supper with technical
questions that the rulebook left fuzzy.

   This event was a breeze.  Put the car in street trim...something it
hadn't seen in years.  Change a couple bulbs, install new wiper blades, and
roll it on the trailer as a Real Street car.  If it had a second seat and a
bicycle rack I would've DRIVEN it to the event with my 10 year old crew
chief son, Matt.  I'd considered that, but scrapped the idea after
contemplating the walk home if the car broke and the fact that I only have a
5 gallon fuel cell.  It was certainly much more pleasant traveling with all
the junk in the tow vehicle.

   I was determined that at this event I would take it easy, and for once I
did not beat the Starter, David Locklear, to the start line.  The wind was
blowing straight down the course as I made my first two passes, and in the
opposite direction from the way I prefer.  The combination of street trim
and the stiff head-wind only netted me 122 MPH speeds, just a tick over the
existing E/GRS record.  The wind was all the excuse I needed to spend the
rest of the day socializing. (and looking for that bear!)  I visited the
pits of all the regulars at Maxton, and greeted old friends.

   Maxton has begun to have a family reunion kinda atmosphere for me.  While
Matt rode his bike with the Bodenheimer and Locklear boys I answered the
questions of spectators, visited with the fire crew and got to compliment
Dick J on his choice of paint for the new race car. (looks a lot like mine
only with fewer spots)  I was so busy visiting that I didn't even put film
in the camera and missed the kids attempt at entry into the ECTA 20 MPH Club
on their bikes.  Certainly above and beyond the call of duty for our Chief
Timer, Joe Timney, it's a big hit with the kids.  Thanks Joe!  A 10 year old
with a time slip is a future land-speed racer.

   Sunday was much the same, with a trip to shut-down with Dave Hinni, just
in time to watch two cars leave the course.  I made three passes Sunday,
adding another 4 MPH to the record.  Matt and I did a little switcheroo on
some fire hydrant caps, trimmed back some brush, and quickly had running
water at the corner of the gravel entry road.  This will sure beat driving a
mile to the next nearest water point on the course, and opens the
possibility of refreshing COLD showers for the brave Maxton tent campers.

   I've got my winter speed "fix" now and can get down to the winter chores
of preparing new toys for next season.  I certainly look forward to seeing
everyone again and zipping down my favorite mile of concrete.

Chuck Rothfuss
USS Wankel LSR #510
(Formerly ECTA #9)
Pole Cat Hollow, NC (no rain in 33 days, 32 degrees at night, 75 in the
daytime!)