Re: Maxton October '00 Meet

To: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maxton October '00 Meet
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 06:47:12 -0800 (PST)
Chuck, your paint job WAS my inspiration!  I
couldn't help but chuckle about you interupting
John Beckett's dinner all the time during the
"pre list" era.  I guess that's what the busy
signal was all the time when I was calling.  I'll
bet he sure is happy that this list got started.
I agree, the Maxton meets are like family
re-unions.  I sure look forward to the next one.

Dick J

--- Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
wrote:
> [...]
>
>    This event was a breeze.  Put the car in
> street trim...something it
> hadn't seen in years.  Change a couple bulbs,
> install new wiper blades, and
> roll it on the trailer as a Real Street car.
> If it had a second seat and a
> bicycle rack I would've DRIVEN it to the event
> with my 10 year old crew
> chief son, Matt.  I'd considered that, but
> scrapped the idea after
> contemplating the walk home if the car broke
> and the fact that I only have a
> 5 gallon fuel cell.  It was certainly much more
> pleasant traveling with all
> the junk in the tow vehicle.
>
>    I was determined that at this event I would
> take it easy, and for once I
> did not beat the Starter, David Locklear, to
> the start line.  The wind was
> blowing straight down the course as I made my
> first two passes, and in the
> opposite direction from the way I prefer.  The
> combination of street trim
> and the stiff head-wind only netted me 122 MPH
> speeds, just a tick over the
> existing E/GRS record.  The wind was all the
> excuse I needed to spend the
> rest of the day socializing. (and looking for
> that bear!)  I visited the
> pits of all the regulars at Maxton, and greeted
> old friends.
>
>    Maxton has begun to have a family reunion
> kinda atmosphere for me.  While
> Matt rode his bike with the Bodenheimer and
> Locklear boys I answered the
> questions of spectators, visited with the fire
> crew and got to compliment
> Dick J on his choice of paint for the new race
> car. (looks a lot like mine
> only with fewer spots)  I was so busy visiting
> that I didn't even put film
> in the camera and missed the kids attempt at
> entry into the ECTA 20 MPH Club
> on their bikes.  Certainly above and beyond the
> call of duty for our Chief
> Timer, Joe Timney, it's a big hit with the
> kids.  Thanks Joe!  A 10 year old
> with a time slip is a future land-speed racer.
>

>    Sunday was much the same, with a trip to
> shut-down with Dave Hinni, just
> in time to watch two cars leave the course.  I
> made three passes Sunday,
> adding another 4 MPH to the record.  Matt and I
> did a little switcheroo on
> some fire hydrant caps, trimmed back some
> brush, and quickly had running
> water at the corner of the gravel entry road.
> This will sure beat driving a
> mile to the next nearest water point on the
> course, and opens the
> possibility of refreshing COLD showers for the
> brave Maxton tent campers.
>
>    I've got my winter speed "fix" now and can
> get down to the winter chores
> of preparing new toys for next season.  I
> certainly look forward to seeing
> everyone again and zipping down my favorite
> mile of concrete.
>
> Chuck Rothfuss
> USS Wankel LSR #510
> (Formerly ECTA #9)
> Pole Cat Hollow, NC (no rain in 33 days, 32

=====
*         Dick J          *
*    (In East Texas)      *
*         # 729           *