Parachute

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Parachute
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 10:57:18 -0600
I had a discussion with Bob "Grib" the other day about what his thoughts
were in relation to his incident at maxton.

This is the third time for him to leave the race course.  The first without
any kind of a chute...

the second two times it was with this 14 foot chute that is on a short cord
and mounted Lower then it oughta be I think.... He is giving up on this one
entirely and going to a 10' with a longer shroud lines....

The other significant thing I think about this issue is that folks are
waiting to late and getting excited.... we have almost a full mile to shut
the car down.... There isn't a Safety issue with the course at all... As
evidenced by the 199mph Pass that Will made and the chute Failed to deploy
.... he didn't worry about it.... he simply drove the car through the shut
down area.... no big deal... Plenty of room .... he wasn't even phased by
the chute not coming out... Keep in mind I just have stock brakes on the
car.... as that is all that is required...

Anyway I simply think folks are waiting to late to pull the chutes...I also
feel  that mounting issues need to be addressed....The overall design needs
to be based on Slowing the car down not Yanking it to a HALT...

Keith Turk ( Yeah Brad and I were hashing this out last night ... it's an
interesting topic as we have never seemed to have any trouble in this
department )