Re: Parachute

To: kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parachute
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 13:25:10 EST
        Keith, could the head wind that was reported at this meet have been
at
least a contributing factor in Bob' s car going off course ...... especially
if some
gusts of wind were not directly head on, but at an angle that could cause the
chute to be pulled to one side upon deployment ?  Just a thought I had on this
incident, and I enjoyed reading Howard Nafzger' s thoughts and methods on
locating the mounting point for his parachute( s ) on his liner, which was in
an
earlier posting to the list .  Fortunately, we encountered no chute deployment
problems with the Black Radon altered at Speedweek, and I wonder if future
SCTA and ECTA rule books might be able to expand on this business of chute
mounting points, chute sizes recommended for given weights and types of
racecars, and also a general consensus on what length lines seem to work
to best advantage, again, for certain basic types of cars, ie. lakesters or
liners
which must have a different air flow trailing behind them than a doorslammer
or
hiboy roadster .   A meeting of the minds of some of the top runners and
record holders, along with the input of folks like Diest and other chute mfrs,
would surely add up to a solid base of knowledge for this area of hi speed
racing that still seems to have some mysteries to it for many of us in LSR .
            Bruce
PS :  Please take note that this email to you, K, did not contain one insult,
slur, or even a hint of poking fun at you ...... unlike some of your other
good
buddies !    I was sorely tempted ...... but managed to resist this one time,
even though you have promised to kick me in the shins next time you
see me !!!    After all, this list was mostly your idea, wasn' t it ?
 ....... and we all seem to enjoy it !   Thanks for that .......
            and also for not claiming to have invented the internet !!!