Re: Parachute

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Parachute
From: "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:29:22 -0700
Wes,
 I may be wrong, so check me out but I believe Ed Tradup used a Kevlar
towline a few years back and had failures with it because it lacked the
shock absorbing qualities of a PROPER nylon tow line. I had chute problems
at Speedweek this year and Jim Diest spent quite a bit of time working with
me on it. He has a computer program that considers speed, weight, altitude,
etc. and determines fabric porosity and strength, area of canopy, and tow
line size requirements based on a 150 percent safety factor. Some of these
cars are going so fast that anything less than that kind of information is
dangerous.
 This is not a paid commercial for Jim and I hope I haven't said anything I
shouldn't, but I am following his advise from now on. I took two trips to
the 8 1/2 or 9 this year and did some damage to the car. I don't like that
very much.
Howard