Re: Parachute

To: DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>
Subject: Re: Parachute
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 17:45:33 -0800
List,

Obviously there are many factors that determine what is needed in a
parachute. My first chute was a military surplus 16 ft. ring slot.
Worked real well on our roadster at speeds from 150 to 200 MPH. It's
mounting height was at the bottom of the body.  It saved my butt during
a spin. I have a picture of the car facing a fully deployed chute. When
it came out it turned the car and we coasted to a stop.

Like many other issues that are put on the table for discussion, we tend
to get things too complicated. Glenn's suggestion of talking to Deist is
good advice. The weight of the car, the speed, the aerodynamics all play
a part. And Glenn's advice about care of the chute is primary. I have
had chute failure, even when it was clean, if it had been packed too
long.

Glenn spoke of high flying chutes, again an aerodynamic condition that
we have experienced, but that is not a problem if the tow line is long
enough. I don't believe that cross winds are a problem in chute
deployment either. If you are traveling 200 MPH, a 20 MPH crosswind will
have little affect until the car slows.