Whatizit and Whereizitfrom?

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Whatizit and Whereizitfrom?
From: "ghalvorson:First ghalvorson:Last" <ghalvorson@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 01:04:21 -0600
List,
Sorry about the last message, used wrong address.
I have this weeks $10,000 question.  What is it from?
After about a thousand mile break in I decided to reset the valve clearances
on my big block cheby motor, just to check things out.  Under the cover,
laying next to the valve cover rail, on the lower side, between cyl #6 and
cyl #8 is a piece of metal.  It is something that has clearly broken off
from  something.  It is a cylindrical shaped solid steel pin, .310" in
diameter with the good end having the edge just slightly beveled.  Just
enough to take away the sharp corner and being flat on the end.  The other
end has a diagonal break with the long side of the pin having a total lenght
of .580".  The short side is about .430" long.  The break is clean and
pretty flat.  It looks like a dowel pin of some kind that has sheared off.
There is a definate wear mark on about .480" of the pin.  As if it were
inserted into something.  When I first saw it I thought of the locating pin
on the end of the camshaft.  It may be.  I can't think of anything else in
the motor that has a round pin like this.  The engine runs fine, is really
strong throughout the RPM range.  How would it get up under the valvle
cover?  Any thoughts out there on where it's from and how will it affect the
longevity of the motor?
Gene H