Re: Parachute lines

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Parachute lines
From: Dave <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 13:09:21 -0500
Thinking a little outside the box today.. I wonder if a
spring and shock
arrangement on a rocker system would soften the hit of the
chute.. If
you connect the chute line to a pull rod or rods and then go
through a
rocker arrangement you could push on a spring and shock
(coil over type)
and thereby take up the hit a lot softer. the same as
driving with a
solid suspension everything breaks or cracks from all the
instantaneous
loads.  i see no reason why this could not work very
effectively.. If
you know the speed and mass of the car and the square ft. of
the chute i
would think that an appropriate spring rate and damping rate
could be
calculated so the chute does not just bang open and tear
things up.
Might even make some of the hard to handle cars a little
smoother
too.... I am open for further discussion on this.
Dave Dahlgren
sorry if this is a duplicate.. didn't show up on my system
when i sent it.. Maybe that is a message that it is not a
good idea.. LOL