RE: Parachute lines

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Parachute lines
From: "Smith, Simon-Pierre" <Simon-Pierre.Smith@PSS.Boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:36:35 -0800
A spring or damper setup would definitely smooth the initial hit.  What I don't
understand is where the hit is coming from.  Shock loads come from running up
against something with a lot of inertia, like when towing a car.  The parachute
just doesn't have much inertia.  You could claim that the air in the chute has
a lot of mass, but all the air the chute sees is essentially still, so it would
be seeing that load constantly rather than as a spike.

As speeds go up I'd expect the answer to come from more chutes getting
sequentially larger as you slow down.

Simon