Re: Catch net

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Catch net
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 07:20:59 -0800
Hi,
The catch net was placed about four-tenths of a mile from the dike the one
year when it was used.  It's been a while and I think a diesel truck did use
it but I could be wrong.  The one streamliner that probably should have used
it, didn't, landed in a pond where there was a hole in the dike at the time.
The hole has been filled in now and that's one of the reasons we don't do
two way record runs on the "short" course.  There was a well marked lane to
the net but perhaps it was too abrupt a turn even then for someone going
fast enough to need the net.  If we go to the longer course you can be sure
that the net will be about half a mile from the end of the dragged course no
matter how long the course may be.  It's an extreme measure intended to only
be used as a final option when every thing else has gone wrong, i.e. all
chutes blown, no brakes, moving too fast to make the needed turn to parallel
the freeway for a mile or so to stop.
The net is heavy strapping with large parachutes in canisters on either end.
It's supported on pvc pipe just high enough off the ground to be visible but
it is about four feet high
and strong enough to hold up with a good hit.  The problem is that there may
be trouble even spotting it with some very restrictive canopy's.  It can't
be too near the course and can't be too far off the course or it is
worthless.  Only an extreme measure for stopping and it would need a very
cool driver who thinks fast to really get the best use out of it.
I don't think Camaro drivers need to worry ...  the term "like a ton of
bricks" indicates something heavy just stopping in one spot rather quickly.
Wes