Re:Parachute lines

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Parachute lines
From: brian falkner <falken@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 11:49:09 +1300
You wrote
<<Subject: Parachute lines
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:10:10 -0500

Been busy thinking outside the box,
so now I think I have it all figured out. The issue is one of ballast.
So after discussions with another well known racer the following seems to be
the answer. LSR vehicles need to be built with a rear door similar to a
C-130. Ballast is positioned on a skid which is placed inside the vehicles
rear compartment. A drogue chute is attached to the skid, and when deployed
will pull the skid and ballast from the rear of the vehicle. In this way the
car may cut its over all mass by perhaps one half and therefore when the
regular parachute is deployed the stress on the chute is considerably
reduced as well as the distance required to stop.
A proper driving technique may be required as it is possible, depending on
the skid and drogue design, that the skid may slide faster and further than
the car itself. Therefor it would be recommended that drivers pull to the
left dump their load and move quickly to the right and out of the way before
pulling their main chute.

Just some thinking way outside the box. JB

8888888888888888888888888888

JB, That kind of thinking will get you way INSIDE the BOX...a 6'x2'

Antipodean BDF