Re: Skunk Works?

To: jdincau@qnet.com, 3cbxs@ev1.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Skunk Works?
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:57:35 EST
      Jim, Tom, all :  According to the 1997 book " Area 51, The Dreamland
Chronicles " by David Darlington, and all about the highly secret military
base
and complex at Groom Lake, Nevada ...... this " Skunk Works " name for
Lockheed' s Palmdale, California facility for the development of experimental
aircraft, such as the incredible A12SR-71  Blackbird, came about because
of one employee .   This individual was a " Li' l  Abner " ( comic strip
character
similar to our own Keith Turk ) fan, and borrowing that term from the strip,
would
answer his phone with, " Skunk Works ! "   At least that's the way the author
tells it !   He also says of the division' s former director, Kelly Johnson,
a true
genius at aircraft design, that his work motto was :  " Be quick, be quiet,
and be on time, "  and he often used the acronym :  KISS  ...... which meant :
   " KEEP  IT  SIMPLE,  STUPID ".     This very interesting book mentions
some  WAY  OUT  vehicles  MUCH  faster than our land speed racers !
      Darrell and I saw some of the facility's buildings as we left from our
only
trip to El Mirage dry lake, and he still talks about seeing an SR-71 plane
land
at an airshow at Beale AFB in Northern California ....... he was very
impressed !
      Bruce, where it rained as much today as Jim probably gets in a year