Re: Book Wanted

To: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Book Wanted
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:59:29 EST
        Doug,  Sounds like it takes a " king' s ransom " to buy that book  !!!
It' s not in my automotive library yet ...... and at that lofty price .......
             NEVER  will be  !!!    Those early Millers were truly fabulous
race cars !
I am sure many of the old time drag racing guys here on the list will
remember
the beautiful chromed Miller grille shell on the famous Art Chrisman - LeRoy
Neumayer flathead dragster, which Hot Rod mag titled " The West's Most
Fabulous Dragster " in the early 50s, and once was an early lakes modified .
        Fortunately, this historic masterpiece still exists, is beautifully
restored,
and can be seen in the NHRA  Motorsports Museum in Pomona ( last I knew ),
or at big nostalgia events such as the Hot Rod Reunions held at Famosa
Raceway .   I was lucky enough to see this great race car, which ran not only
flatheads, but
also with an early hemi, at that reunion in 1997 .  The word MASTERPIECE truly
applies to this early terror of the dragstrips !    I wonder if any of the
really
early dry lakes guys that are still around remember seeing it run back in
those pre - drag racing years ?      That is going waaaay back ........
        Bruce