BACKASSWARDS ? THAT HAS BEEN DONE !!!

To: jdincau@qnet.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: BACKASSWARDS ? THAT HAS BEEN DONE !!!
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:12:14 EST
      Jim,  You said you can' t mount a roadster body backwards for
streamlining .
I am sure that is very true ...... nowadays  !   However, this  HAS  been
done !!!
       Some years ago, I saw an article on the dry lakes, and there, big as
life,
was a photo of a ' 29 roadster with the body actually mounted BACKWARDS  !
       This was a meet in the post war years, or early Fifties, and I think
it might have been sanctioned by either Russetta, or  Cal - Neva ,  and the
car looked ridiculously stupid, as you can imagine, and the caption under the
pic mused about what length would these ( crazy ) hot rodders go to .......
to make their race car go faster .......
      As dumb as it looked, it might have made that oddball ride a wee bit
faster,
and I wonder if anyone else on the list ever actually saw this car at the
lakes  ?
      This would have been a REAL head turner ....... and ran  LONG before
drag racing' s backward bodied " Back Up Pickup ", and the name of the fun
loving team that ran it must have settled into the dust of that dry lake many
moons ago .   We won' t see another like it ever run  ....... but as they say
nowadays ........ somebody has " Been there ..... Done that  "
Truth is stranger than fiction   /   There' s nothing new under the sun  /
                                They said it couldn' t be done
       Bruce