Re: KEEP MUROC ALIVE/perspective

To: <Br69br69br@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: KEEP MUROC ALIVE/perspective
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:50:03 -0800
Br69br69br,

   May I suggest that you look at the budget for putting on a race anywhere
and get on your knees and thank the people who put those races on for YOU.
   A few telling $$$$$$$$ signs from the promoters side.  This from someone
associated with the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association but not speaking for
them.  Here are just a few "new" costs over some previous years, generally
things that make it nicer for the racers.
   We were hit in September with an additional new $550 charge from Tooele
County; $100 for a permit to hold the event in their county ... on BLM land
where we had already paid a fee ... $400 to the Tooele County Health
Department for them to come out and see if we had enough port-a-potties ...
the BLM requires more than the County does ... and to inspect the food
facilities, The Red Flame already paid for a license to sell food in the
County and the inspectors showed up each day after they had closed down the
food concession for the day, oh yes,and  to count of the number of people on
the salt to see that we didn't exceed the number we listed on our permit
application.  They only charged us $50 to read the seven page application
they required.
   Racers have made off with our advertising signs on the freeway year after
year ... they may be nice in someones garage but we pay a minimum of $220
each for the kind that won't tear off and rip to pieces in the Bonneville
Breezes.  Thank some of your fellow racers for that expense.  Someone has to
pay for them or we won't have the income from spectators and you'll have to
pay still higher entry fees to cover the costs.
   We now have large dumpsters as a convenience for racers to get rid of the
trash they accumulate after four days of racing.  They have to be hauled
almost 100 miles to be emptied in an approved dump at a cost of well over
$400 per race ... and we get a very good deal on that price.  If racers
would haul away their own trash we wouldn't have that cost.  Before we had
the dumpsters we could spend a full day just picking up the junk left behind
after an event.  That's a new cost.
   Thank Jim Zupan for the drags ... we couldn't prepare the course without
them and we get an incredible, below cost, sweetheart deal on those.  Come
drag the course ... it takes some skill to do it right and we would probably
have to train you but driving at 15 mph for seven miles or longer each
direction making ten passes to prepare a single lane has a zen like quality
to it and the exhaust fumes help to put you into orbit too.
   Come and splice wire with us some time.  I am sure you have no idea of
how much that multi-strand wire costs in the first place and every time
someone drives over it a weak spot develops that can cost someone a time
slip.  Some spins can wipe out a quarter mile of wire in an instant ...  Pay
for that out of reduced entry fees.
   Volunteer to work a day at an event.  That will save the promoters the
cost of motel rooms, lunch, (you can bring your own) and you'll only miss
one day of racing.
   Get there early for an event and help set up, or better still stick
around after it is over and help pick up wire and clean it before it is put
away for another racing season or pick up cones over the full length of the
course.  Someone has to do it.  We're lucky that some racers volunteer to
help.
   Over the years there have been some "angels" who helped us and some
racers complained that we were getting too commercial.  Those "angels" paid
for our "new" computerized clocks among other things.  But now we could use
a new computer and program that would be more user friendly, the computer is
over five years old and you know how fast they get outdated.  But you don't
want us to get commercial.  What do you constructively suggest?
   I guess what I'm saying is quit bitching!  Every racer who is honest will
tell you that the entry fee is the cheapest part of a land-speed race.  The
last time I drove at speed down the course was in 1959 and the entry fee was
$60.
   Go to any major professional racing event and just pay the spectator
entry fee to get in ... attending a four day event can cost you upward of a
thousand dollars if you spring for prime seats, pit passes, getting close to
the start and actually talking to the racers who will probably stiff you.
Bonneville is $20 for the full event and Cokes don't cost $4 each,
hamburgers aren't $10, the food actually tastes like food, and generally the
people are nicer.

Wes Potter  Former USFRA Secretary