Re: KEEP MUROC ALIVE/perspective

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: KEEP MUROC ALIVE/perspective
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 01:33:05 EST
In a message dated 12/08/2000 9:46:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wspotter@jps.net writes:

<<    Go to any major professional racing event and just pay the spectator
 entry fee to get in ... attending a four day event can cost you upward of a
 thousand dollars if you spring for prime seats, pit passes, getting close to
 the start and actually talking to the racers who will probably stiff you.
 Bonneville is $20 for the full event and Cokes don't cost $4 each,
 hamburgers aren't $10, the food actually tastes like food, and generally the
 people are nicer.

 Wes Potter  Former USFRA Secretary

Wes,
    Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!! As I have often told all the workers, Chiefs,
Indians, volunteers, etc that I come into contact with at the SCTA/USFRA
meets, "Thank you for making my hobby and dreams become a reality".
    When one considers the investment to build a car and engine, the $1000+
it costs to transport the car to the meet and feed and house yourself and
part of your crew, the monies spent by my crew to get themselves to several
meets per year so they can work their tails off to make the effort work, and
the HUGE risk that the meet promoters (SCTA, USFRA) take regards weather
cancellations, the entry fee is a bargain by anybody's standard other than
the "Rail Bird" that gripes about it.
    As someone said earlier "If it's too steep a price save your money for
the next NHRA "spectacular" so you can REALLY dig deep into your pocket to
witness why most of us are involved in LSR rather than the "Buddy-Club"
controlled burnout contests...................Ardun Doug King