rules

To: Mike Manghelli <mmanghel@hughes.net>
Subject: rules
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 06:06:27 -0500
Mike is there anyway to revisit the Mazda rotary ruling
about displacement calculation this year. I really am
disappointed on the ruling to just leave it alone at
displacement X3 when SCCA and FIA have factors that are very
close to displacement X2.
I am more than willing to document what ever need be in
order to see if i can get this passed. I really wish I had
the time to fly out and present it myself. but do think that
the facts ought to be enough. The reality of the situation
is that it takes 3 revs or the crank to process all 3 sides
of the rotor. This means that it takes 2 revs to process 2
sides of the rotor.so if the displacement was 1300cc then in
2 revs it will process 2600cc of air and fuel. In a 4 stroke
engine it takes 2 revs to process 1300cc in a 1300cc piston
engine. It seems that a X2 would be more in line with what
the engine can actually do.

I do understand that there are records that were set a long
time ago with the current X3 displacement factor but also
fail to understand what the past has to do with the simple
facts of how something really works. I also know that you
don't see many of these engines out there(Bonneville) yet
they are plentiful and cheap to build. I suspect it has more
to do with the futility of it all rather than the popularity
of the engine in general.

I am hoping that rules for SCTA are in fact a living thing
that is subject to some change as time passes and things are
brought up that makes for a level playing field for all. In
the past few years we have gone from two way runs in
opposite directions on the same day to one way runs and not
even on the same day as before. In my mind that is a more
significant change than this engine displacement factor that
is based on the physics of how things actually work. I might
ask as an aside to all this do the members of the rules
committee actually have a good understanding of how this
engine works or are the decisions based more on 'it has
always been that way so why change it mentality'? If anyone
before the meeting needs any further explanation on how the
engine works or anything else that would make this point
clearer please feel free to either e-mail or call me.

Dave Dahlgren
860-536-6125