Re: Coil Over (2)

To: "Ken Bond" <kmb2@humboldt.edu>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coil Over (2)
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:54:32 -0800
Warning OPINION follows:

> 1st... some shocks are rebuildable/revalvable.... Do I care in a
Bonneville
> application?  Do they get enough used over a few seasons to make this
> something I need?
Buy good quality with 50/50 valving, dont worry about rebuilding.

> 2nd... Springs come in variable rate and standard?'  Again, are their
pros
> and cons for my application?
Generally, variable rates are for long travel or ride comfort, use standard
see below.

> 3rd... Since I am taking out a transverse leaf spring rear-end system, any
> starting guess' as to what weight springs I need?  When the car is
> finished, the total car will be ~3500 lbs before we start playing with
> ballast (if any).

Talk to one of the mail order chassis/suspention/roll cage shops. Tell them
your car weight and travel requirements, ask for a fairly stiff setup as you
dont want the ride height to vary much. If they talk you into soft springs
with stiff shocks you will need anti roll bars to avoid torque steer.

Two cents worth from Palmdale
Jim