Re: Coil Over (2)

To: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: Coil Over (2)
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:45:38 +0000

My demise has been greatly exaggerated!!! I am alive and well, busy building a
new
car. John Beckett and I have spent a week of 16 hour days trashing my shop, but
that is another story.

Shocks:

Most shocks are worn out 'on the trailer'. Proper chocking of the car and hold
down
strap positioning will go a long way to extend the life of any type of shock.
Next
time you go racing, when refueling the tow truck, get under your car and feel
the
heat that has built up in the shock. Of course, the other problem is almost
nobody
has shocks on their trailers. This is the main problem that leads to chassis
failure.

Adjustably:

Knowledge of shocks is paramount is your selection process. If you are not
going to
learn how to adjust a double adjustable shock, then just buy a non-adjustable
with
50/50 valving and live with the limitations. Although Bonneville is relatively
smooth, it still can have dips in the course as in '99. A dual adjustable shock
'could' allow you to maintain contact to the surface and not buzz the motor an
extra 900 rpm ( rocker arms don't like this...right, John?). I like to think of
dual adjustable shocks as "tools".

Many racers do not realize that a 82 series Koni shock is adjustable. You have
remove the shock, pull down the rubber bumper and washer and loosen the nut,
remove
the eye,take off the washer and bumper. Replace the eye as it serves as a handle
while working on the shock.Once fully compressed, rotate the shaft with the
eyelet
until you feel the shaft slip into the shock deeper. The shaft is now engaged
into
the slot in the foot valve. If you rotate the shaft clockwise, you will stiffen
the
rebound forces of the shock. Every 1/4 turn represents 22 lb.. of force
difference.

I do not have any experience with Bilstien shocks. Having good customer support
is
important. All of the manufactures have very knowledgeable staff to answer
questions. Everyone needs to spend as much time learning about suspension as
motors, if you can't put it to the ground, why build HP!!!

Springs:

Dual rate springs were intended for long travel suspensions but I'd like to try
them  at Bonneville and see if I could run light rebound setting, allowing the
tire
to stay in contact with the surface. The dual rate would allow a low clearance
without a lot od compression damping.

Corner weighing your car is important as any good shock guy wants that info to
calculate your requirements.

Ed Van Scoy's comments on sway bars with a swing rear is a great idea. Corvettes
are a tuff deal to get right, as the car is pretty high off the ground, hard to
lower and keep the suspension geometry in tack. The front end moving around will
have a very negative effect on the rear end. A solid rear housing will require
the
same spring rate as the swing rear, Ed's suggestion of 500# is not too far off.
happen to like lighter springs, controlling the car with the shock, and raise
the
spring platform ( compressing the spring) to have more stored energy. This
allows
the suspension to respond quicker, particularly on the more bumpy tracks since
the
suspension can more easily comply with the surface irregularities. Naturally,
the
lighter spring will lose it's energy sooner and collapse sooner than the heavier
spring.

Of course, all of this needs to be tested with your combination... I have seen
the
crudest setups work, I just think how much better it could be!

As Ed said" This is my opinion, mileage may vary! ( or was it Keith???)

Joe ( in Delaware where we have tornado warnings, heavy rain, flooding and 60
degrees)