Re: Maxton Ballast & Spinning Wheels

To: kturk@ala.net, lsr_man@yahoo.com, landspeedracer@email.msn.com,
Subject: Re: Maxton Ballast & Spinning Wheels
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:55:13 EST
        Keith,   As far as Maxton is concerned, I agree with Doug King that
Dick J may be able to get away with little or no ballast at all ...... I was
just
talking about ballast  IF  it was needed .   One BIG variable that HAS to be
factored in here is the amount of  HORSEPOWER  we are talking about in
any car we' re discussing .  Darrell simply did NOT have enough weight in
our car anywhere on the course ...... BRICKS obviously resist being pushed
through the air, and the torque reaches a point where the tires start to lose
their respectful grip on the salt, so it has to be a balancing act on how
much ballast to bring along for the ride without being a hindrance to the
car' s best available acceleration ...... this is where experience can
count for a lot ...... and for the rest of us it' s mainly trial and error .
      IF Dick's Camaro could stay hooked up sans ballast weight at Maxton,
I think that will be helpful in his reaching his best terminal velocity .
       I have always thought " light - lighter - LIGHTEST " regarding
drag racing construction and I view  ANY and ALL ballast as a
NECESSARY  EVIL !   As YOU very well know, the wet saline surface
of the Bonneville course can be a formidable barrier that has to be
DEALT  WITH  ....... IF  you' re going to post those large numbers .......
AND  stay pointed in the right direction in the process.
                         Isn' t ALL of life just one endless LEARNING
PROCESS  ???
  ...... keeps things kinda interesting, don' tcha think ?
                      the Northern Hemi  BDF
     A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss
                            and a Spinning Wheel Gains NO  SPEED