Re: Rules/wankel engine size factor.........

To: Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: Rules/wankel engine size factor.........
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 16:17:51 -0500
well i read it and did not think about it the way you did.
the reason i didn't is that it does have a crank throw and
there is no transmission betwen the crank throw and output
shaft they are all one part. In your aircraft engine there
is a transmission(I think correct me if i am wrong). If you
take off the transmission i suspect the engine could still
run as long as the starter etc was still hooked up. On the
rotary there are 7 moving parts and you can't remove any and
have it run. I am thinking something gets lost in the
conversion from rotary to piston, might be the reason they
use 2.1 and 2.2 for a conversion factor in SCCA and FIA I
would love to be a fly on the wall when they discuss this
issue (SCCA and FIA). In the airplane scenario there is a
true tranmission or drop gear to bring the outout shaft rpm
of the engine down to something useable for a prop. In a
rotary the output shaft is the same one that the rotor runs
on unlike the aircraft engine. Thats my take on it anyway.
Am I correct in saying that the crankshaft and the output
shaft on these large aircraft engines are not the same part,
ie I could have the crankshaft in CT and someone could have
the output shaft in CA ? yet I could still start the engine
up in CT..
Dave Dahlgren