Re: Rules/wankel engine size factor.........

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules/wankel engine size factor.........
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:29:31 -0500
List,

   Okay, for those who may not know, I'm one of the 1% (or so I'm told) of
list members who actually prefers Wankel rotary power.  Been building these
things since the early 80's.  I'm not an engineer, a mathematician or a
member of the rules commitee.  I do, however, find several things wrong with
the SCTA's X3 formula, as I've detailed in many past e-mails on the list.
The problem seems to go all the way back to the very first appearance of a
Wankel rotary engine on the salt, and has not been revisited since the X3
rule was originally adopted.  All I'm saying is that it's about time we give
it another look.

   As far as a seperate "rotary engine class" is concerned, I'd personally
rather stay in the E/ class with competition than be out there chasing my
own records.  At Maxton, I've been the only naturally aspirated Wankel
powered car, and one of only three Wankel
powered machines (My brick, a 3rd generation RX7, and one of Scott Guthrie's
motorcycles) I've ever seen at Maxton.  Any others John??  Even if we were
swarming around like a bunch of angry hornets it still wouldn't be any fun.
Variety in competition, as in all things, is what makes life interesting.
Competition on a level playing field makes it even better.

   It's way past my bedtime now, so I've gotto stop here.  Remember,
Saturday is the list's birthday. (That's right isn't it Keith?  January
6th?)  I'm still trying to decice on something appropriate to use for a few
rounds of toasting, but the selection process has been most enjoyable.

Chuck Rothfuss
"USS Wankel" LSR #510 '71 RX510
Pole Cat Hollow, NC