Re: Rules/wankel engine size factor.........

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules/wankel engine size factor.........
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:49:10 EST
Dave,
    I agree with Keith that your suggestion needs thorough consideration bt
the Rules Committee, and if they decline to act on the proposal they should
reply to you and the LSR community as to what their specific reasoning was.
    I personally have no experience with the Wankel design, as I presume
could be said for 99% of the people on our List. If the 3X displacement
factor is indeed unfair to the Wankel I agree that it should at least be
reviewed and hopefully adjusted.
    I was at the salt in the 80's and taped the Racing Beat Mazda Rotary
powered coupe wwhen he set his record at about 240mph, spinning during one of
his runs. It was a very impressive performance at the time for a "stock
appearing" vehicle.
    You've gone into great detail as to why the "factor" for determining the
relative displacement of the Wankel vs the piston engine needs to be changed.
Now I feel that the Rules Committee should give some details on why they do
or don't choose to modify their 3X factor.
    I believe that the Rules Committee meeting has just been held or is about
to be held prior to the SCTA Awards Banquet later this month. Hopefully some
decisions and details of those decisions will be forthcoming..........Ardun
Doug King