RE: Rear mods

To: "'Nafzger'" <nafzger@vtc.net>, Glen Barrett
Subject: RE: Rear mods
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:08:05 -0700
I went over and talked to our aerodynamics guy here at MD Helicopters about
this one.  He said he could speak to aerofoils but not necessarily for cars
because of the ground plane effect, but ...

It seems that as the car (airfoil) penetrates the air the, sharper the
leading edge radius the sharper the pressure gradient.  As the air moves aft
from the leading edge the pressure initially is below ambient and then as
the it continues aft the pressure increases until it is actually above
ambient.  For a "needle nose" configuration the difference between the lower
pressure (still positive, but below ambient) is greater than for a more
rounded leading edge.  Because the low pressure is relatively greater, the
center of pressure (resultant of all aero forces) would move forward with a
"needle nose."  By the way, the point at which the pressure increases above
ambient may not be the same location if nothing else is change except the
leading edge radius, so its not totally black and white as to how far it
will move forward.  (That's why we still have wind tunnels and flight
testing, I guess.)

This could still be compensated with additional areo devices aft, too.

Hope that made sense ...

Dale