Fw: World records

To: "Land-speed Racers" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: World records
From: "Marge and/or Dave Thomssen" <mdthom@radiks.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 10:03:58 -0600
Group
You can tell it is winter by the bench racing taking place on the chat line
recently.Here's my two cents worth.

Wind resistance also reduces in direct proportion of air density.  So it
wouldn't make much difference what altitude you were running on-you would
run the same speed except for rolling resistance which does not vary with
altitude, only tire pressure and surface.  The rolling resistance factor
would make you run a little or a lot slower at higher altitude, depending on
what proportion of the total drag on your car was due to rolling resistance.

We run at Bonneville because it is the only place in the USA that is long
and flat enough and is accessible in a one to three day tow.  Any other
venue in the world does not meet these criteria.
Because there are so few other places to race the records at Bonneville are
legitimate world records.  Most of us would award our record to someone who
exceeded it somewhere else in the world because we know the chances of that
ever happening is very low.

The amazing thing about Bonneville is that the best place to race is
operated by VOLUNTEERS.  These are racers putting on a race for racers.
This is the best combination that could have ever happened to us
Hot-rodders!  I hope everyone understands and appreciates what a wonderful
job these volunteers are doing for us.

Dave the Hayseed