AMA at Bonneville??

To: List Land Speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: AMA at Bonneville??
From: Henry Deaton <hdeaton@verio.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:32:47 -0800
I my research for my electric motorcycle project I got in touch with Mike
Corbin, the guy who makes the motorcycle seats and who is invovled with
Corbin Motors making the Sparrow 3-wheeled commuter EV. Anyway, Mike built
a few electric motorcycles back in the early 70's, including one he ran at
Bonneville. He sent me a copy of his timing certificate, which I've
temporarily misplaced, but it documents his run of 165 mph in either '74 or
'75. The interesting thing is, is that the timing certificate was issued by
the AMA, not the SCTA. All this talk about the FIM and FIA got me to
wondering about the AMA's involvement in speed trials. Anybody know what
the story is?

Henry