Re: Welding 101

To: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Welding 101
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:10:57 +0000
Dave,

I use 308 rod on 304 and 321 stainless. They make a 347 rod for 321 but 308
can be used. It is very important to clean the material and remove any burrs
or machine marks as they will allow contaminates to be trapped in the weld.
Some of the high tech coolants used in CNC machines today cause a lot of
problems as they are a bitch to get off. Just heard of a problem with
replacement hips contaminated with coolant that sterlizing didn't remove the
stuff.

Match the tungsen size with the metal thickness. Sharpen the tungsen to a long
point and get some BIG glasses...better you than me...I've got three different
pair of glasses to see with now!!!  Straight Argon is fine.

Hope this helps!

joe