Re: Welding 101

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding 101
From: LGMCAFEE@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:50:01 EST
In a message dated 1/16/01 10:54:14 AM Central Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Buzz box?
 Gas?
 Tig?
 MIG?

 I have gas (welder that is) and a buzz box. I
 thought I was in high cotton with those.   What
 do I need Tig for and what do I need Mig for?
 What about this this torch and tank that Larry
 talks about?  Does that make my buzz box more
 versatile?

 Dick J

Dick if you have a DC welder not an AC buzz box what I explained will work.
I'm a big ebay fan and you can find a tig torch and flow meter (not
regulator) for under a $100.00. This will let you weld carbon and stainless.
I have welded at nuclear powerplants and stainless pipe does require a purge
on the back side to keep it from sugaring (usually with argon) to make an
x-ray quality weld. On carbon steel it is not required to purge the back of
the weld to get past x-ray but it does make a nice clean weld on the back if
you do. This set up won't work on aluminum.
Larry Mac