Re: welding/metal work

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: welding/metal work
From: clab@bellsouth.net
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:21:12 -0500
Hi List (surfacing for a quick comment),
In my modest shop (average 2 car garage with room for one car) I have
gas/mig/stick. A month or so ago I made some test welds, cut some lengths
of 1 5/8 .134" ERW, notched and MIG'd it together. Cut it apart to check
penetration and was surprised to see the external look is no indication of the
quality of the weld. I ground an angle on the notched part, the best penetration

occurred when I ran a root pass then a fill pass rather then try to weld in one
pass.
any comments? (Gonna start welding my cage in a few weeks)
My metal working equipment? sand bag, hammers (wood, steel, raw hide)
hammer forms. Want (need) to get a bead roller and (possible make)a brake this
year.
Bought a bench belt sander last year, don't know how I got along without.
Best sheet metal invention? Cleco clips! Dream tolls? Lathe and vertical mill.
Chad (sinking back under the surface)