Engines on song

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: Engines on song
From: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:32:21 +1300
Dave, I particularly enjoyed your description of a well tuned engine, you
would have to agree that Bonneville is one of the greatest stages for such a
performance and a major reason for non competitors to attend. This car
sickness thing can be a bunch of work for little pleasure at times although
I personally enjoy the planning, building and prep also. Anyone who has ever
cross threaded a nut and dosn't stop what they are doing and look in the
direction of that particular sound has no passion for things automotive.
That sound is one of those brief experiances that allows you to forget all
previous blow-ups, failures and other Murphy's Law hiccups.

John Wyer an englishman who I believe managed the Ford GT40's in their
heyday of the 60's actually wrote a book called 'That Certain Sound' about
that very thing.

Chris Harris   NZed