Re: Engines on song

To: "land-speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Engines on song
From: "Chris R Harris" <yesford@clear.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:06:20 +1300
Dave & List,
                  tracked an old copy of John Wyer's book "The Certain Sound"
on Barnes & Noble's website www.bn.com  under the "rare, 2nd hand & out of
print" section. Huge price at 337 UK pounds.

Another of my favorite old books of a very interesting automotive engineering
nature is "Lucky All My Life" by Harry Weslake, the so called Wizard of Air.
He is credited as the developer of the flow bench, due to inspiration watching
his father calibrate old domestic gas charge meters with a flow rig for that
purpose.nIn later years became involved with Dan Gurney and jointly formed
Anglo American Racers AAR and built a very promising V12 F1 style engine that
showed promising undeveloped performance against the all dominant DFV Cosworth
of the day. For various reasons project became stillborn and Gurney changed
AAR to mean All American Racers. The Gurney Weslake small block Ford heads
came out of their original partnership. Any one out there got a set or had
anything to do with these now rare, very collectable items ?

No Dave didn't make that international meet back then at Gairdner, certainly
heard all about that great
Cossie Lakester you were involved with, I believe the timers were your nemesis
on that occasion. Was very involved with Richard Hollywood's yellow 64 Ford
Falcon C/GALT that ran there however.

Chris Harris  NZed.