Computer engine design

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Computer engine design
From: Daniel Wright <daniel.wright@genetics.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:19:45 -0700
HI
Another question along the computers in landspeed racing theme.
I have been fooling around with a computer program called Desktop Dyno.  It
is interesting to play with and see how it predicts the power output
changes with various component changes.  However, in some ways Desktop Dyno
seems simplistic.  It doesn't account for rod to stroke ratios, it has a
very limited means for expressing various exhaust system configurations,
and no exhaust information is allowed at all if it is a supercharged
application.
So my question is , who out there is using computer programs to assist with
engine design and component selection, what programs work, which are only
fancy computer games?
Dan Wright

It's amazing what you can do if you don't know it can't be done.