Re: 3 way Vs 2

To: <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Re: 3 way Vs 2
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:22:58 -0600
Tom I understood that... but thanks for Clarifying it...

For the Most Part all of us look on the History of the sport and have great
respect for the Early records.... sure don't mean we want to go backwards
thou.... it's all in the way we perceive this whole thing... The FIA
wouldn't have two cents worth of Value if so many folks didn't assign
meaning to it....

What is hard for me to understand is Why I care about the FIA...  The
obvious answer is because of the assigned Value Fellow racers put on that
Record....  So now that I have said... "Yes I care about this FIA business"
what is the Actual and NOT rumored Meaning to an FIA record and Why is it
valuable....What makes it Special...

Can we suggest to the FIA that they should include SCTA Categories?  Should
the SCTA govern itself like the FIA?  Should we pay the FIA to say what we
are doing is HONEST.... and it's here that I have a Problem... I believe in
the GOOD of the common man.... I refuse to look at the world as Half
Empty..... I trust Glen Barret to tell me what I ran.... and I trust it to
be the TRUTH.... Not something configured to make me Happy....

This is going to take more work.... and for a guy with a Closed mind it's a
little harder for me to look at this objectively.... I am not doing this
for anyone other then myself.... I just want to understand it better.. it's
some of the Politics and intricacies of the sport I find interesting....

Keep in Mind we are all witnessing something here that is radically
different in the way things have been done in the Past..... We have a Small
group of people that represent an international audience looking on....

Keith Turk

----------
> From: Thomas E. Bryant <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
> To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
> Cc: land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: 3 way Vs 2
> Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 10:14 AM
>
> Keith,
> In my discussion of the way records are set, I was not suggesting that
> we go back to the three pass deal because the two pass record is not
> sufficient. I don't know when this three pass requirement started, but I
> suspect it was for convenience of operation's sake and it was unique to
> SCTA, the private settings always used a qualifying and a back up run,
> I'm sure. To go back now to the three pass situation would be unfair to
> the current record holders.
>
> You have to have great respect for those that set records under those
> rules, however, when you consider the type of technology and equipment
> they employed. Like Dan, I remember working my post on record runs while
> my competition was in the pits working on their cars. We did start
> qualifying by 10 AM in most cases, but we has far fewer entries to
> contend with. To me the thing that I miss is the aura of Record Runs in
> the early morning. It was also special as a spectator (which I was much
> more often than a participant).
>
> Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC
> Keith Turk wrote:
> >
> > Okay ... some of you have mentioned the 3 pass method....
> >
> > I agree it was Harder on equipment... no question about it... but when
was
> > this Policy established.... I just re-read my Healey reports from 56
and
> > they mentioned National and International records .....AAA and FIA ...
Never
> > saying they had to qualify for a record before setting it....
> >
> > Donald Healey was in Love with those Hot Rod boys by the way....
especially
> > mentioning Shadoff and Isky cams .... guess he barrowed some Fiberglass
from
> > one of you guys to fix an air duct.... Just fascinated with the Efforts
of a
> > bunch of Kids as he put it....
> >
> > Also took a look at appendix D on the FIA website.... Guess they don't
like
> > my Camaro.....  Oh well it must not be a race car.... I'll keep that in
> > mind... don't think it will improve my attitude.... but it's a fact...
They
> > won't like my Modifed Sports either hmmm... only way to win here is
build a
> > Special construction car.... Hmmm   Somehow that doesn't seem right...
Guess