Re: STOCK CAR RACING SPECIAL ON THE TUBE

To: boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com, FastmetalBDF@aol.com,
Subject: Re: STOCK CAR RACING SPECIAL ON THE TUBE
From: "Jim Bodenheimer" <bicwig@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 02:20:25 -0500
OK Guys,
Hit a nerve here.  While stock car (cab) racing has become much too
commercialized and the drivers make hefty paychecks, it still bears
mentioning that the crews and most drivers work very hard just to be able to
compete.  Yes the good old days had less stringent rules and more drivers
that earned hero status, but it's a different world today.  Sprint car
racing is great - I love to watch it, but those guys couldn't last 600
miles.  Things change - some good, some bad but it's inevitable.  I miss the
Petty and Allison days, but I also look forward to each race as an
opportunity to learn.  One interesting thing.  I was in Bob Labonte Sr.'s
shop 2 weeks ago to pick up a freshened motor for our car and was talking to
their engine guru.  I explained LSR to him as a run what you brung venue.
He was drooling.  He say's with confidence that he could build 2500 HP from
a normally aspirated small block with out all of the rules from NASCAR.  I
thought that a little high, but it goes back to the changing of the rules
every week.  Anyway, I am actually a technology spy infiltrating NASCAR to
learn more to make my LSR car faster and it's working -
75...98...148...158...???  I just hope the next time I let off the gas on
the thing it doesn't turn LEFT (especially at MAXTON).

Have a good one,
Jim