Re: going fast

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>, <ardunbill@webtv.net>,
Subject: Re: going fast
From: "glen barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:43:54 -0800
Regarding Thompson's 4 engine 4 wheel drive liner. The two front engines
drove the the front through two quick change rear ends. The two QC'S had a
axle between them as did the back axle. So each wheel was not driven
seperately. There was also an overdrive at the end of each axle to control
overdriving the tires IE spin. I was at Mickey's shop many times when the
car was being built and later on at Jim Travis shop when it was restored.
He broke a drive shaft on a return record attempt and had to shut down the
engines.Thompson used a mixture of oil and white lead in all of the gears
cases to prevent galling. When the car was torn down we looked inside  the
gear case's and everything was like new.
Glen