Story time

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Story time
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:48:48 -0500
Keith, List,

   Since I'm not that old, I'm only gonna go back about 6 years with this
one.  I doubt I've EVER done anything dumb enough to top Keith's story, but
I'll have to think on that somemore.  Til then I thought ya'll might enjoy
my favorite little "Redneck" story from Down East.

   When my son Matt was 5 years old he came into the house one evening and
asked, "Daddy, how come we always have slugs and rednecks hangin' out on our
porch?"

  I was obviously unprepared to give the child an answer to such a question,
having just bid goodnight to several of my fellow local racers who'd been
visiting on the porch, as they often do.  After recovering somewhat from the
shock of hearing my son refer to my friends as "slugs and rednecks" I told
him firmly that it wasn't polite to call them those names.

   He shot back,  "Well, ALL the kids at school call them THAT.  WHAT am I
supposed to call them?"

   As visions of "ALL the kids at school" calling my friends "slugs and
rednecks" burst into my mind, and knowing full well that kids get this kinda
stuff from their parents... he continued...

   "They have red necks that puff out like this!" (small hands moving under
his chin)  The poor child become even more frustrated when I broke into
laughter and nearly fell off my chair.  He was talking about real slugs,
(the kind that leave slime trails) and the "rednecks" he was referring to
were the many small lizards that eat insects near the porch light, and chirp
by inflating the red skin of their necks.

Chuck Rothfuss
Teacher, Story Teller & Mechanic
Pole Cat Hollow, NC